[lug] question about laptop battery

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 18:49:38 MST 2010

> If the laptop is going to be powered from AC for more than 2 or 3 days,
> the battery should be removed. Leaving the battery installed in the
> laptop while the laptop is powered from the AC for long periods of time
> is what kills the battery.

I have two laptops from the same manufacturer (Dell) which use LION
batteries. Both have been almost always connected to AC. In one, the
battery died just after the warranty expired (as often occurs). Don't
remember if it was 6 or 12 months. The other is still working fine
after more than 24 months. The latter has a docking station and is the
newer of the two, though, so it could be better technology in the
charger/battery/firmware/whatever.
It might be irrelevant for the battery, but since we are on the BLUG
mailing list, it's worth mentioning that this luckier machine has
always run only linux (ubuntu), whereas the other one has been
preinstalled windows for a while, dual-boot when the battery died, and
now it's ubuntu-only (it's my wife's machine).

Bye,
;Dav