[lug] auto discard mails from specific users using Evolution

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jan 21 00:58:08 MST 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 9:09 PM, David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Is there a way to run them through procmail on the way to the imap server?  If procmail drops them
> you wouldn't have to worry about what Evolution might do.  It's an extra layer though.

procmail and server-side filters built on my homebrew mail server -- were how I handled "rules" for years.  Since I used IMAP, messages from lists were neatly sorted into folders by the server, long before I ever fired up a client, etc.

Dropping mail from one user would have been easy.

Server-side filtering and IMAP is the only way to fly... all clients have no rules, 20 clients all get the same "view" the very first time you connect them, and continuously from then on,  and any changes made by one client show up on all the rest.

When I moved to using a commercial hosting solution for my personal mail, the most important criteria was "great IMAP support", "some way to access/set up/change server-side filtering rules", "some company with brilliant solutions to spam, like "Non-Spam" folders in IMAP I had set up at home that would "teach" or "un-learn" the spam filters when they did something wrong.

This is how I ended up hosting my mail for various domains and users at fastmail.fm - they have all that and much more.  Life's too short to mess around with client-side filters! (GRIN)  But it's also too short to maintain your own mail server in a spam environment where professional admins and spammers are sparring it out daily.

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com

http://facebook.com/denverpilot