[lug] problem compiling Ubuntu kernel

bgiles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sat Jan 23 19:12:54 MST 2010

Oh, my system is incredibly unhappy.  I almost wish I had reinstalled
from scratch instead of doing a dist-upgrade.  (It probably doesn't help
that I did a dist-upgrade from Debian to Ubuntu 9.04 six months ago
instead of a clean install.)

I can mount the drives (with renamed devices) after I run vgchange -ay.
If I do it manually.  If I put it into an initramfs script it seems to
hang the system.

I haven't been able to get the X server up.  If I use the nvidia module
it says it needs the 'glx extensions'.  If I use the vesa module, just
to get it up, it says it needs the 'glx extensions'.  The xorg.conf file
has the 'glx module' line commented out so it's not that.

Bear

Lee Woodworth wrote:
> On 01/23/10 10:46, bgiles wrote:
>
> As far as I know grub doesn't directly use the /dev/hdxx or /dev/sdxxx
> names.
I was ambiguous.  GRUB itself is using (hd0,n) but something is putting
in "root=/dev/hda3" on the kernel command line.  That seems to happen
every time I install or reinstall a kernel.  Not hard to fix, but easy
to forget if you haven't installed a kernel for a while.

> Note that loading the module does not automatically activate the volumes.
> I still have to have a 'vgchange -ay' command in my initramfs to make the
> LVM volumes visible.

Yes, I can mount the partitions after running that manually.  How do you
put that into the initramfs?  I have installed initramfs-tools and tried
putting something under the scripts directory but that mostly succeeded
in hanging the boot process.
> I don't use ubuntu so this might not apply. But I remember there was a
> change in one of the recent kernel versions where the /dev/vg/xxx devices
> stopped getting created by dm_mod. The devices that do get created are
> /dev/mapper/vgname-lvname.

Yup, that change also happened.  Thanks for the warning.