[lug] Letting folks pay from the web.

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 1 12:56:36 MST 2010

> i'm no expert on any of this stuff and am no raving
> proponent of paypal.  but i have set up and used paypal
> in the past.  unless someone can correct me, it sounds
> like folks are going way overboard on their recommendations
> which are leading jeff to set up a full time merchant etc
> which i gather he doesn't need to do.  the hammer vs
> feather approach.

just to be clear, you still need a business bank account of some kind so that you can transfer your pp receipts to an account you can withdraw and spend from. because the customer money sits in your paypal account for x number of days, from where i stand, pp really functions sort of as your merchant bank.

this is where i'm out of my league.

i think if you go to their highest level of service you may choose your own merchant bank and they will route funds directly to it after processing and approving credit cards.  this means the money is yours the minute the sale is made and it hits your account versus the lower level paypal services.  the monthly costs are higher though.  and at that point you may want to use a non pp solution since you're approaching a true merchant solution.