[lug] android development hardware

Jonathan Corbet corbet-bldrlug at lwn.net
Fri Feb 12 07:06:41 MST 2010

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 02:33:07 +0000 (UTC)
stimits at comcast.net wrote:

> I'm very strapped for cash, looking for work, etc. I'm trying to find
> some new specialty area which might be around for a while. The android
> looks like it might have a future. There are, however, multiple versions
> available. Are there any models out there which someone here might be
> able to recommend for someone to develop on, who is already expert at
> linux application development?

If you're strapped for cash, the first thing to do would be to download the
SDK and develop for the emulator.  It can show you how your application
will look on various types of handset and doesn't cost a thing.

Eventually, when it comes down to wanting to see it on real hardware,
you'll want a handset which, at least, allows you to load packages from
unofficial repositories.  I don't know of any carrier who has turned that
off, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Of course, those of us who have quickly gotten used to the idea of a
completely open handset are increasingly unwilling to settle for anything
else.  The Nexus One is a nice device which is indicative of where these
handsets are going.  If cash is short, though, I bet you could find a
second-hand ADP1 or liberated G1 for sale out there somewhere.

jon