[lug] android development hardware

Ben Burdette bburdette at comcast.net
Fri Feb 12 10:38:37 MST 2010

Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 02:33:07 +0000 (UTC)
> stimits at comcast.net wrote:
>

>> I'm very strapped for cash, looking for work, etc. I'm trying to find
>> some new specialty area which might be around for a while. The android
>> looks like it might have a future. There are, however, multiple versions
>> available. Are there any models out there which someone here might be
>> able to recommend for someone to develop on, who is already expert at
>> linux application development?
>>

> If you're strapped for cash, the first thing to do would be to download the
> SDK and develop for the emulator.  It can show you how your application
> will look on various types of handset and doesn't cost a thing.
>
> Eventually, when it comes down to wanting to see it on real hardware,
> you'll want a handset which, at least, allows you to load packages from
> unofficial repositories.  I don't know of any carrier who has turned that
> off, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
>
> Of course, those of us who have quickly gotten used to the idea of a
> completely open handset are increasingly unwilling to settle for anything
> else.  The Nexus One is a nice device which is indicative of where these
> handsets are going.  If cash is short, though, I bet you could find a
> second-hand ADP1 or liberated G1 for sale out there somewhere.

I found a G1 on craigslist for 150.  I got the seller to activate it on
my gmail account over his tmobile and then switched to a pay-as-you-go
SIM card I already had.  I think there are ways you can get around the
activation aspect but I haven't looked into it too much.  Anyway so I
don't have the internet (except wi-fi) but I don't need to pay a monthly
plan fee either.

But to echo what jon said - get going with the eclipse environment and
go through the tutorial on the android website, you'll have a test app
on the emulator in short order, no phone required.

Ben