[lug] Managing RPMs

Kenneth D. Weinert kenw at quarter-flash.com
Tue Mar 2 09:33:55 MST 2010

On 03/02/2010 09:26 AM, Rob Nagler wrote:
> On 3/2/10, Kenneth D. Weinert wrote:
>>   Any pointers to managing a system like this will be *greatly* appreciated.
>
> Bravo for moving to RPMs!  After the initial pain, you'll be thanking
> yourself for years to come. :)

I'll still have to use the .tgz files for our other platforms (solaris),
but I'm doing the development on CentOS5 (RHEL5 is our officially
supported Linux platform) and most of the install activity will happen
on RH boxes.

> The dev/test thing is going to drive you nuts.   Spend $500 on a dev box.

It should be easier than that - at least for the test/stage environments
all they really need to do is spin up a virtual, but I have to convince
the boss it's a necessity.

I just love managers these days.

> Put the headers in, say, /usr/include/<company>-2.0.0/, you avoid the
> version issue.  It seems like it would be a small change to your make
> environment, and it will allow you to run multiple versions in the
> future.  Libraries are "solved", but I would still use
> /usr/lib/<company>-2.0.0/ for the directory.  Perl, python, etc. use
> this system, and it works wonderfully. :)

So, when I do a fix and it gets bumped to 2.1.0 then the entire
structure gets recreated? Just trying to be sure I understand.

Ken