[lug] Gigabit NIC Compatibility

George Sexton georges at mhsoftware.com
Mon Mar 8 13:42:13 MST 2010

I've got a machine running OpenSUSE 11.2 with all the latest kernel patches.
The ASUS motherboard has two onboard MCP55 NIC's. I never could get them to
work. The driver would load OK, but I can't ping out. I ended up putting in
an Intel 10/100 NIC and using it. Now, for various reasons, I'd like to get
it working.

I'm connecting to a LinkSys 10/100 switch that I've had for 10 years or so.
I tried replacing the switch with a newer LinkSys 10/100 switch, and I also
tested with a different network cable. Things just didn't work. I've got
another machine running an ASUS MB with a RealTek Gigabit NIC plugged into
the same switch and it works fine with Windows.

I also tried using a TrendNet gigabit card (RTL8169 based) and it would not
work.

Does anyone have any ideas? Would getting a Gigabit switch solve the
problem? I'm not pushing a lot of data around, so there's no inherent
advantage to upgrading that I could see.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

George Sexton

MH Software, Inc.

303 438-9585