[lug] Gigabit NIC Compatibility

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 19:06:48 MST 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 1:42 PM, George Sexton <georges at mhsoftware.com> wrote:
> I’ve got a machine running OpenSUSE 11.2 with all the latest kernel patches.
> The ASUS motherboard has two onboard MCP55 NIC’s. I never could get them to
> work. The driver would load OK, but I can’t ping out. I ended up putting in
> an Intel 10/100 NIC and using it. Now, for various reasons, I’d like to get
> it working.

I haven't any experience with SUSE. Is that the latest version? What
version of the kernel is offered?

You need to do some googling with terms mcp55 forcedeth (that's the
open source driver for the Nvidia cards). I have an Nvidia MCP61 board
(HP), and that was a little problematic two years ago, but now it's
rock solid. Of course I run sidux (debian unstable) with very recent
kernels.

I did find some notes in my search that Nvidia isn't even supporting
their drivers for MCP55 any longer. Your best bet would be to try a
latest and greatest Livecd (sidux, ubuntu beta, or ???) to see if the
later kernal will drive your cards.

Check dmesg for any relevant data.

Best of luck.

--