[lug] Laptop with external screen?

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 08:13:03 MDT 2010

>> Anybody know of a solution to this problem?
>
> I'm using the native nvidia drivers on Ubuntu and I don't have to reboot
> - but I do have to log out and back in. Restarting the Xserver would
> probably serve as well, but it's pretty much the same thing :)

I'm using Ubuntu Hardy (looking forward to switch to "pure" Debian)
with GNOME 2.22.3 and it works on the fly. No need to restart X, let
alone reboot the whole machine!
The hw is a Dell laptop, with intel video card and open source
drivers. When I attach an additional display (with the VGA cable, I
haven't tried an hot-pug to the docking station) it defaults to "clone
screens" but I can change to extended display with "Monitor Resolution
Settings" in the System->Preference menu.

Note that before Ubuntu I was using the most recent RedHat and
everything hardware-related (including resolutions greater than
320x200) required a lot of painful hacking including something in the
BIOS! Ubuntu just worked (TM). I recommend staying away from RH &
derivate for laptops (I recommend Debian & C). IBM has officially said
that they are dropping support for desktops too (I can find the link,
if you're interested in the announcement).

HTH,
;Dav