[lug] Laptop with external screen?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Mar 16 09:42:30 MDT 2010

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 06:21:54 -0600
Rob Nagler <nagler at bivio.biz> wrote:

> I just got a laptop running Centos 5.4.  I want to run it dual-headed
> when I'm at my desk, and just with the builtin screen when I'm out and
> about.  Xinerama does fine, but it doesn't detect that the external
> display isn't there.  This is a known "bug".  While I've seen
> solutions where I can reboot to fix this problem, this is annoying.
>
> Anybody know of a solution to this problem?

Sadly, CentOS5/RHEL5 are based on Fedora Core 6, which came out about
3.25 years ago, which is a long time in the Linux world. ;)

So, you can try the laptops crt/lcd key. On some models of that era,
that was done in the bios and worked ok.

Other than that, I fear you will have to restart X after tweaking the
xorg.conf.

kevin