[lug] CentOS 5.4 NFS Install Problems

David Ahern dsahern at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 20:32:30 MDT 2010

On 03/29/2010 12:47 AM, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
> I'm trying to do an install of CentOS 5.4 booting off a local media and
> then attempting to use an nfs directory to source the installation
> files.  I can't seem to make it work with CentOS politely telling me it
> can't mount the specified directory.
>
> Of course, there could be lots of things going wrong here and I've
> jumped through a variety of hoops to resolve them such as temporarily
> disabling SELinux, Firewall, etc.
>
> I suspect it may just come down to CentOS 5.4 not wanting to see nfs
> exports of a more recent Fedora 12 system.
>
> I've got more than two systems in the said environment, mounting nfs
> back and forth and it seems only my initial boot up of CentOS can't see
> the files I am offering.
>
> Anyone have suggestions?

It definitely works. Right now I use just such a setup almost daily (NFS
server running FC-12 and NFS kickstart of RHEL5.4).

If you have /etc/exports setup properly, SELinux in permissive mode
(setenforce permissive) and iptables stopped (FC by default likes to
reject all incoming requests but ssh) then take a look at syslog files
and alt-f3/f4 data from kickstart side.

David