[lug] SGI Onyx 2

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 12:54:27 MDT 2010

And before someone makes fun of me (well, for that, anyway), I meant 640Kb,
not 64Kb.  Yeah, yeah.

Oh, and if you have an 8088-based, PC/XT lying around, I have a full set of
official, PC/IX disks.

It's much happier with 20Mb of disk space than with 10Mb, so if you also
have a 10Mb expansion chassis, that'll help.

It doesn't require an 8087, math co-processor, but without one some things
are unexpectedly slow, including awk.  It turns out that awk does (did?) all
its math in floating point.

In this program, for example:

     awk 'BEGIN { for(i=0; i<100; i++) print i }'

awk converted the counter to floating point in order to increment it, each
time through the loop, then back again in order to print it.

I think you can even run PC/IX on a machine with 320Kb of memory.  You can
also bicycle to Alaska.