[lug] Old Unix, was Re: SGI Onyx 2

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Wed Mar 31 15:50:35 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 12:54 -0600, Jeffrey Haemer wrote:

> Oh, and if you have an 8088-based, PC/XT lying around, I have a full
> set of official, PC/IX disks.

> I think you can even run PC/IX on a machine with 320Kb of memory.  You
> can also bicycle to Alaska.

My old Linux disks are in Maryland but I've thought about firing them up
in Virtual Machines just to see how things used to be.  Have you
considered wasting a day^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H investing time into seeing if
your old PC/IX might still boot in a VM?

Just curious if anyone's tried.. I'd think something that might run well
in an XT world would zip on a modern PC with a VM container.

You couldn't do a lot with Unix back then (no X, no 3D, no easy ipv4)
but you could do things.. right?

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux, Unix and Database Administration