[lug] Old Unix, was Re: SGI Onyx 2

George Sexton georges at mhsoftware.com
Thu Apr 1 15:26:48 MDT 2010

Back in 1984-1985, Radio Shack used SCO Unix running on their Intel 80186
powered model 2000 computers in their stores. This system did inventory
control, time tracking, and elementary accounting. It used 1200 baud modems
to transmit the data back to Texas. Sales tickets were still done by hand,
but each ticket was entered into the system at the end of the day.

> > Does "make a living" count?
>
> > INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation was the first commercial UNIX vendor
> > (1977).
>
> My first access to Unix was on a Cray supercomputer via dial-up.  I had
> no idea what to do with it, but back then all the "Learn Unix" books
> were pretty much focused on how to login and use ls to list your files
> with wildcards, so it went nowhere for me.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
303 438-9585
www.mhsoftware.com