[lug] Kernel Compiles

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 14:39:33 MDT 2010

> When was the last time you compiled your own kernel?
Don't remember exactly, could be last century!

> And why did you feel the need to do it?
The out-of-the-box kernel didn't work with my graph card for X.

> I'm really looking for answers from non-kernel developers, and
> non-hardware developers.  End users who can't just install upgraded
> kernels, modules or recompile modules but for some reason need to do the
> whole kernel tree.
I don't need that anymore. The large use of modules, the less need of
squeeze more performance from the hw, and probably the better job done
by distros, made kernel recompile disappear from my workflow!

> Cheers,
Interesting thread, thanks!

Davide