[lug] Kernel Compiles

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Apr 12 16:07:25 MDT 2010

On 4/10/2010 8:50 PM, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
> To put it simply, I enjoyed compiling kernels back then because it gave
> me a feeling of personal involvement and personalization at the core of
> my own Linux workstation.
Maybe that feeling was always false? ;-)

That was one of (and continues to be one of) the jokes about Gentoo,
isn't it?  :-)

"I've optimized my entire operating system by building from source, and
it only took my processor a week at 100% CPU to do it!"

Or similar... Heh heh...

Not picking on Gentoo fans, just saying ... the distro's kernels are
"pretty good" and definitely beat the 80/20 rule these days... unless
you have a piece of hardware that's not working right...

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com