[lug] Kernel Compiles

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Mon Apr 12 17:21:42 MDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 16:07 -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> On 4/10/2010 8:50 PM, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
> > To put it simply, I enjoyed compiling kernels back then because it gave
> > me a feeling of personal involvement and personalization at the core of
> > my own Linux workstation.

> Maybe that feeling was always false? ;-)
>
> That was one of (and continues to be one of) the jokes about Gentoo,
> isn't it?  :-)

You know, I think I would have to agree with you.

Perhaps I've just forgotten what Linux was really like back then and the
actual benefits of compiling a custom kernel but in many cases I'd say
compiling was equal to disk defragmenting on DOS/Windows...  Sure looks
satisfying seeing all those little blocks get re-ordered but I couldn't
state any specific instance where it was clearly faster afterward.  I
did it because it always felt good to do.
--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux, Unix and Database Administration