[lug] Laptop recommendations for Linux?

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Fri Apr 16 10:29:44 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 07:17 -0600, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> > 1) Are there other laptops that you know of that fold flat as described
> > above?
>
> Not sure if I understand correctly what you mean by "flat". My Dell
> screen opens (slightly more than) 180 degrees, so that part is fine.
> But it's not "flat" with the keyboard, in that it is about a quarter
> of an inch "higher". If you are interested I can send you a picture
> worthing thousand words.

This is a thinkpad that folds flat..  Most consumer laptops have a
body/hinge/port configuration that limits the screen to only going back
so far, mostly the normal angle required when you put a laptop on a desk
and look downward at it.  Hours and hours of that position puts too much
strain on my neck.

http://buyx300.com/x300flat.jpg

So I use this setup which keeps me looking straight forward and is much
more healthy.  I don't carry the stand around, I just use it at home for
long periods of time.

http://www.maxwellspangler.com/laptop/laptop-stand.jpg

--
Maxwell Spangler