[lug] Ubuntu upgrade to 9.10 and now my screen resolution sux

bgiles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sun Apr 18 17:11:39 MDT 2010

I hope this is a quick fix - I finally upgraded my atom-based system to
Ubuntu 9.10 and my screen resolution has dropped to 800x600.  It doesn't
matter if I explicitly list higher modes and the preferred driver in
xorg.conf.  (I'm no longer sure if that's the right file or if it's been
superceded!)  What is especially annoying is that the screen resolution
is clearly higher during the boot process but then it goes dumb when gdm
starts.

xrandr only shows 800x600 and 640x480 modes so I don't think it's /just/
gnome, but who knows.

The video driver is an intel 82945G/GZ and other people have reported
problems but none of the approaches seem to work.  Most notably they
already have a higher resolution (1152x864) working.  I've also added
the ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates but it says that I'm running the most
recent versions of the drivers.

Thanks,

Bear