[lug] getting sendmail (outgoing only) to work

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Apr 23 10:15:05 MDT 2010

On 4/23/10 10:07 AM, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> we have a few laptops in our shop running RedHat workstation 5.5 in some cases
> and CentOS 5.4 in others.  We're doing some client development and they want
> to have certian scripts send out an email, however sendmail is not working on
> our laptops. I only want it to work for outgoing emails, anyone know what I
> need to configure/tweak to get sendmail to work for outgoing mail?
>
> Thanks in advance

Install the sendmail RPMs if you have not yet done so.
Become root.
cd /etc/mail
Edit sendmail.mc (this is a macro config file)
I would uncomment the line with SMARTHOST and fill in the hostname of
your outgoing email server.
Type make
restart the sendmail daemon with /etc/init.d/sendmail restart
Configure it to always start with: chkconfig sendmail on

It should work for accepting mail from the local system and forwarding
it on to your actual email server (the smarthost system).

--
Zan Lynx
zlynx at acm.org

"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Study Hard.  Be Evil."