[lug] Any experience with sidux?

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Sat May 1 16:08:56 MDT 2010

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Davide Del Vento
<davide.del.vento at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
> with the realease of Maverick Meerkat I decided that I'll leave (and
> recommend!) Ubuntu to my aunts, parents and in-laws. Not for me
> anymore.

Don't you mean Lucid Lynx?

And why is it not for you anymore?

The next time I experiment with a different system, it will probably be NixOS:

http://nixos.org

One thing that I like about NixOS is that they are the system (after
Ubuntu) to package up my Tahoe-LAFS project. :-)

But the main thing that I like is that they have a principled approach
to package management, where every component is allowed to affect
other components as minimally as possible, and all interactions
between components are deterministic and reproducible. This sounds
much better to me than what .deb and .rpm systems offer. Here is a
longer sales pitch:

http://nixos.org/nixos

Regards,

Zooko