[lug] Any experience with sidux?

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Sun May 2 14:26:14 MDT 2010

Hi,

> 5. There are lots uf updates, and you need to upgrade frequently.
> Waiting longer than 2 months to do a dist-upgrade may also result in a
> broken system. I've always updated at l
> east bi-weekly, and there are usually 200+ packages ready for update.

Do you mean twice a week or once every two weeks? I'm even ok to
update daily, especially if I can set up a shutdown script for that (I
always turn the thing off in the night). From what I'm hearing I will
not install sidux on a machine that I use about once a month, at least
not until I'll be very familiar with it.

> 10. The sidux developers are a quirky bunch. One of the original
> developers produce (and still maintains)an excellent system upgrade
> tool called smxi that many users like myself use to perform the
> dist-upgrade process.

I've heard about smxi and I was wondering.... Too bad that they quarreled.

> That's about it. You try it, you like it. Always check the forum for
> warnings before doing a dist-upgrade (manually or with smxi). The core
> users usually find the bugs and raise an alarm if anything is broken.

I've read somewhere that if anything is broken is pretty easy to roll
back to pre-update status (I assume that's true if the new thing
didn't corrupt your config files, of course, which one should put
under revision control, but it's seldom done). Do you have any
experience with that?

Thanks a lot for your comments! That's what I wanted to hear. I'll
install on my first machine and start using it, hopefully later today!

Davide