[lug] q: ramdisk /tmp & mount plain files

Chan Kar Heng chankarheng at gmail.com
Mon May 3 02:09:29 MDT 2010

thanks David! (Stearns, Morris, & Ahern)

1) yea, you're right on that. i did a bit more google using the keywords
you & others have sent over & found a few more remarks.
tmpfs & ramfs all look like good options. i'd think, for personal use,
tmpfs will fit just nice.

so far, it's something that's really based on context of usage, & there
isn't a 1 solution fits all thing.

2) i think cat /dev/sda0 works. at one point in time, i think i created
a redhat 9 image for use with colinux using that very command. if not, i
had likely used dd after that. :)

oh a bit more googling led me to something called mdconfig &
"file-backed" devices too.

many thanks again!
best regards,

karheng