[lug] Open Source ticket/bug tracking systems?

Sean Brady sbrady at gtfservices.com
Mon May 10 16:13:54 MDT 2010

Hello all,

I'm new to this list, and I am looking forward to meeting everyone at
the next meeting.  In the meantime, check out Redmine
(http://www.redmine.org/).  I have been using it for a couple months now
and I've been very happy with it.  It has a pretty granular permission
set, so you can restrict access to different projects based on user ID.
It also supports LDAP authentication, which is a big plus for me.  It
also supports issue creation via email, and will do email notification
on issue add/edit/delete.

The thing that I like the most about it is that it's a complete project
management system and it's very flexible.  You can change almost any
field, or ad your own.  It will support issues from initial report to
the fix, with a visual roadmap.  It will also integrate with most OSS
SCM's.  I have it running on the same machine that I use as my master
GIT repository internally, and it allows you to see commit comments,
diffs, files, etc.  You can set keywords for status changes based on
words in the commit comments- IE "fixes issue #34", and Redmine will
change the status of the issue accordingly.  It supports time tracking,
has integrated GANTT charts, and a plugin structure with great community
support.

It's based on Ruby on Rails, which might turn some people off, but I've
been real happy with it.

Best of luck,

Sean