[lug] Anyone else hate to get rid of old equipment?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon May 24 03:02:01 MDT 2010

On May 22, 2010, at 1:51 PM, Kenneth D Weinert wrote:

> I know - there's not a lot that can be done with this one, but I just
> hate to dump it.
>
> I just fired up an IBM ThinkPad 2620 running PC DOS / Win 3.1 / Office
> 4.2. It's running in 386 enhanced mode and has 16K of free memory.
>
> Battery isn't any good (well, really, neither is any of the rest of it :)
>
> I also have 3 sealed boxes with DOS 3.3 installation media and
> documentation in them.
>
> Amazing what you find when you hit the dusty corners of the closet.
>
> Oh, I also have an IBM ThinkPad 2630, but I know I'll be hanging on to
> that one because I find the butterfly keyboard an interesting solution
> to a problem.
>
> --
> Ken Weinert

Many people who need to program old radios (1980's vintage Motorola and other two-way gear) find great value in older laptops running DOS.

The programming software was designed to take advantage of timing tricks using interrupts in real DOS that simply don't work when running DOS under Windows, etc.

You may want to offer up such an old beast to Amateur Radio folks who need them to run this old stuff.

Batlabs is one site where someone would probably want it.  http://www.batlabs.com/

Or Repeater-Builder: www.repeater-builder.com

--
Nate Duehr