[lug] Anyone else hate to get rid of old equipment?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue May 25 17:57:10 MDT 2010

On 5/25/2010 3:34 PM, Bear Giles wrote:
> (BTW I can't understand how anyone in Boulder, with all of the
> research labs, could have any doubt about the reality of global
> climate change.  Maybe the cause is still open for debate, but not the
> existence of sustained and measurable change.)

The problem with that phrase "Global Climate Change" is that is
something that happens with or without us.  People need to define the
actual problem in order to have a motivation to fix it.

The old phrase, "Global Warming" has come under fire as possibly
scientifically inaccurate.

Thus... the dilemma.  The Priesthood... ahem, sorry again... the
Ecologists got spanked when they tried to define the problem as "Global
Warming" and now far fewer people are interested when it's called
"Climate Change"...

They think... "All these scientists have told us through some pretty
solid sciences like Geology, that ice ages come, and ice ages go..."

So your statement is true.  There definitely is something called "Global
Climate Change(TM)".

Whether or not humans are having a significant impact on it, or if the
changes happen on their own, is this generation's Great Debate.
Measurable, maybe.  I'll even give you a "yes" on that one.  Significant
or a definable problem?  The jury's still out...

And as someone pointed out... if we weren't so affluent, we'd be reusing
things and probably too busy doing so to even debate "Global Climate
Change".

Ironic, isn't it? ;-)

Nate