[lug] hack or just error?

Kenneth D Weinert kenw at quarter-flash.com
Tue May 25 20:14:37 MDT 2010

On 05/25/2010 07:51 PM, stimits at comcast.net wrote:
> I'm trying to find out how an old system (FC5) got a file in /usr/bin, '[:'

It's suspiciously like the [ / test equivalence, but you already knew that.

> There is a good chance this was a botched command line from long ago
> redirecting to create this. Removal of the file causes tcsh and csh to
> complain upon startup that there is no such file.

This sort of indicates that it's a file put there on purpose, not a
botched command line.

> I cannot find anything
> in any of the shell init scripts in individual home directories, nor in
> the /etc ones. Google advanced search is useless, it ignores these
> punctuation characters and gives all answers with that requirement
> excluded. Has anyone heard of a hack like this?

Here's where I stop being any help at all (not that I was much help
before this :)

--
Ken Weinert

I'm a Denver-based programmer looking for full-time employment. I have
20 years experience in C, C++, and Linux. My resume can be found on my
LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ken-weinert/2/922/791
Let me know how I can help your business succeed.