[lug] Anyone else hate to get rid of old equipment?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed May 26 08:46:03 MDT 2010

It's 'climate change' because a lot more is happening than the temperature
outside going up a few degrees.  Heck, aren't we already told to bump our
thermostats up a few degrees in the summer anyway, to cut our electric bill?

No, we're talking about significant changes in precipitation and cloud
cover.  Think rivers drying up or areas getting hit with "100 year" flash
floods(*) every few years.  Think forests drying out and runaway
infestations (pine beetles, perhaps) and massive firestorms.  Think
municipal water systems failing so cities with millions of people can't
provide water.  (Atlanta, iirc, came very close to that a few years ago
during the peak of the regional drought.)

This also brings up an issue that's a sore spot with my fiancee - soil
depletion.  We've had really bad agricultural practices in the past and
aren't doing a hell of a lot better now.  Soil depletion is real but 1) is
masked by petrochemical fertilizers and 2) the 100- to 200-year time frame
until when farmland is trash is far beyond most people's ability to be
concerned about.

But put in climate change, parasite/infection changes, increased oil
consumption making fertilizers more expensive and massive eco-refugees and
there's the potential for some real pain food-wise.  Nothing that couldn't
be handled with a few centuries to prepare, but over a 20-year timespan?

(*) I think this is a key concept.  The "100 year" and "500 year" markers
aren't really 1% and 0.2%, they're 3 and 4 sigma from the mean (I think -
the numbers may be a little off).  Move the mean just a little and your 4
sigma event may become a 2 sigma event.  So you get things like more
hurricanes (a bit of a pain but we already handle them) AND more importantly
more cat5 hurricanes.  More summer thunderstorms AND more F5 tornadoes.