[lug] Anyone else hate to get rid of old equipment?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed May 26 18:02:41 MDT 2010

On 5/26/2010 11:26 AM, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
> regarding rate hikes, i can't say i've personally every experienced a
> utility / energy based rate hike rate hike related to the "greenifying" of
> my grid.  have you?  where are the examples?

http://cbs4denver.com/news/xcel.summer.energy.2.1716029.html

Xcel's rate hike was directly related to higher operating costs
associated with wind farms, if you dig into the numbers. IREA in the
same time-frame has had none.

Even better... Xcel in July of 2009 asked for a rate hike *specifically*
for houses with solar energy to recoup losses.

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_12933360

Xcel's got the Colorado PUC in their back pockets... pretty much.
Natural Gas has (strangely) remained at record-lows for a couple of
YEARS now, and coal hasn't exactly been expensive.

The only thing pushing Xcel's costs up is the "green" projects they're
undertaking, with the blessing of the PUC, digging into your wallet.
They'd already budgeted in the new coal plant in Pueblo.

For the Boulderites on the list there's also the government grants and
higher costs of Xcel's "SmartGrid" system being deployed in Boulder...
interestingly not on the Boulder taxpayer's dime, but on the entire
State.  In a state where some school districts are now going to charge
kids to ride the school bus.  Seriously.  Yeah, that's my money well
spent on you all, I guess.

SmartGrid is nothing more than a more palatable way to handle rolling
blackouts, really.  They leave the lights on and kill the air
conditioner.  Is that their decision or mine?  They're providing me a
service, not the other way around, right?  Yeah... sure...

I'd love to be an IREA customer, if there were any competition in
Utilities.  If they have a good year, you get a check back from them,
since they're a cooperative -- and you also get lower rates across the
board EVERY year.

Oh, and they actually listen to customer's needs/wants at regional and
local public meetings.

For more PUC "fun", Qwest has also been allowed a 13% rate hike on
business phone service by the same PUC this year.  Just to show how
"rate hike happy" the PUC is right now.  Did they offer more/better
service in that timeframe?  Was 13% more than the average rise in
inflation since their last rate increase?

The Colorado PUC is a mess.  Has been for a very long time.  Try filing
a complaint.  See how much response you get back. (I know of three
people who've filed serious complaints against regulated industries with
the PUC in Colorado... faxes, registered mail, nothing garners responses.)

Nate