[lug] Volunteer Saturdays afternoons with Bococo: Boulder Community Computers

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Sat Jun 5 10:12:32 MDT 2010

At the last LUG meeting I noted the cool new non-profit in town: Boulder
Comunity Computers, aka Bococo:  http://bococo.org/

It is based on the FreeGeek model - teach folks in the the community
how to work with free software and recycle computer hardware, and in
return for their volunteer labor they earn their own computers.  This
has been a huge success in Portland OR.  I went on the tour there last
year and it is most impressive: http://www.freegeek.org/ E.g. in
Portland in 2009, Free Geek distributed 2,415 refurbished computers
into the community.  1,086 of these computers found new homes with
volunteers while the remaining 1,329 computers were awarded to
nonprofit organizations.  They generally put Ubuntu on the
computers.  Let's get Boulder in the same league!

Bococo is just getting off the ground, but has lots of good things
going for it - a nice space, a bunch of hardware, volunteers, good
community connections and a nice web site.  It is at 2232 Pearl St,
behind Pete's Electric Bikes, colocated with iSupportU, a local IT/web
support company.

Below is the latest Bococo newsletter, about the "build session"
today.  Feel free to drop by, especially any Saturday afternoon, or
contribute your ideas, business savvy, contacts, techie insight, or
money.

Congrats to Eric Jackson and the rest of the team for getting Bococo so far so quickly!

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/

----- Forwarded message from Boulder Community Computers <Boulder_Community_Computers at mail.vresp.com> -----