[lug] CUPS printing problem

Bruce Long qstream at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 01:57:52 MDT 2010

Currently, I am using WiFi to connect to a network printer. I have a little
gadget that makes a parallel printer into a network printer.

I do need the system to work with all kinds of printers because I will post
it to the Maemo community. I have seen people wanting network and bluetooth
printing, but some folks are on the verge of being able to activate USB Host
mode. Then I'm sure someone will want USB printing.  I think that once I get
foomatic and Ghostscript installed it will work. (So far I read the docs on
those, downloaded the 4 parts of foomatic and built all but the engine. It
won't build; a problem for another day.)

Your link to Gutenprint was helpful because I have been looking for the
driver that I use on my Ubuntu machines. Now I know it is Gutenprint. So far
I know of four sources of drivers: Those built in to CUPS, Foomatic,
Ghostscript, and Gutenprint.

I'm learning a lot!

Bruce

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:32 AM, Lee Woodworth <blug-mail at duboulder.com>wrote:

> On 06/14/10 11:22, Bruce Long wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I am trying to get CUPS to work on the Nokia N900. I have it building OK,
> > the service runs and lpr finds the service. I can use the web-interface
> > add printers, etc.
> >
> > But when I actually try to print I get a message like "Unsupported
> format:
> > application/PDF" or "Unsupported format: test/plain" Googling has led to
> > suggestions regarding a file called /etc/cups/mime.conf. But my
> installation
> > does not contain this file. I wonder if CUPS 1.4.3 doesn't use this file.
> > But maybe the problem isn't related to that.
> >
> > The CUPS error_log shows "Returning IPP
> > client-error-document--format-not-supported for send-document
> > (ipp:/./localhost:631/printers/HP-Laserjet-1100) from localhost
> >
> > What could be causing this?
>
> You didn't specify the hardware arrangement. Are you are using WIFI
> to connect to a PC that is directly connected to the printer? If so,
> you would then have two CUPS installations involved in printing from
> the phone. I would look on the printer-controlling PC for error messages
> too. It will help to figure out which cupsd is generating the message.
> You could also try using the test page facility from the local CUPS web
> interface (doesn't use the lpr command).
>
> On the phone, I would also look in /etc/cups/ppds for a file for the
> printer. It may have information on supported file formats and protocols.
> If you don't have a ppd specific to the printer, you might look in the
> gutenprint project (http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net).
>
> www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprintin/databaseindexfaq
> might also have some information.
>
> BTW, ipp: is a standardized printing protocol. Some network printers
> support
> it directly. IIRC, when printing remotely in some configs, the local CUPS
> daemon uses IPP to communicate with the remote CUPS daemon.

Give me immortality or give me death!