[lug] NFS cross-mounts

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 12:43:57 MDT 2010

> basically, if data is being shared, consolidate it to centralized file
> servers.

I agree. I don't have sysadmin experience with shared filesystem, but
I have lot of user experience, with NFS, GPFS (IBM's one), a little
bit with Lustre. When they work, it's ok, but often they freeze,
deadlock, become unresponsive or unacceptably slow (=tens of seconds
of latency).
So my 0.02$ are: the less share FS (and related server) you have to
manage, the better.
For example, if you can I strongly recommend *NOT* putting the /home
directories on shared FS. Otherwise in these events *EVERYTHING* will
be slow, not just access to the remote data (because *everything*
needs access to the /home directory, for one reason or the other).

In the end, it everything depends or your specific needs and
resources: do you need it working 24/7? If so there will always be a
skilled sysadmin on site, able to fix/reboot it on the New Year Eve,
Thanksgiving? etc, etc.

Bye,
Dav