[lug] ubuntu networking: when it's bad, it's really, really bad

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Fri Jun 18 17:33:14 MDT 2010

Augh!  For the last few systems the Ubuntu networking 'has just worked'.

But now, after literally doing nothing but moving a system from one room to
another(*) my networking is REALLY hosed.  The wired network isn't picking
up DHCP and the wireless networking is totally hosed as well.  I've gone
through Preferences > Network Configuration but all of the settings just go
*poof*.  I tried editing the files directly but the wired network isn't
getting picked up and as far as I can tell the wpa_supplicant configuration
is handled by unicorn farts.

Seriously, that particular service is really getting on my nerves.  None of
the source files (in /etc/init.d, /etc/wpa_supplicant and
/etc/network/*.d/wpa_supplicant.sh) seem to refer to a configuration file
and when I try to kill the daemon so I can set up the networking manually
some process is respawning it.  But again nobody will admit to it, at least
via grepping the likely locations.

Ideas?

Bear

(*) Well, strictly speaking, I went from a wired connection to the wifi hub
to a wired connection to an extension access point.  And I had to replace
the wifi hub since the old one was getting a little flaky.  But neither
should matter - several other systems are on that AP without incident and
DHCP is DHCP.