[lug] Is there a way to get output once it's been redirected to /dev/null?

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 16:01:11 MDT 2010

Earlier today, someone came to me with a problem.  I couldn't think of a way
to solve it, but I believe a logician would rule that "argumentum imagi
pauco" ("Proof by Lack of Imagination.")

He was logged in to an embedded box on a customer site, trying to debug a
problem with a running daemon.  The daemon had been started with stdout, and
stderr both redirected to /dev/null.

"Is there a way," he asked, "to redirect and capture the output without
restarting the daemon?"

I can probably even argue why there *couldn't possibly* be a way to solve
it, so that only a moron would think about the problem: "argumentum ad
territo" ("Proof by Intimidation.")

Ideas?  Suggestions?

--
Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>