[lug] Ubuntu vs. Fedora Core

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Jul 5 22:02:23 MDT 2010

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:05:55 -0600
Dave Pitts <dpitts at cozx.com> wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> I've some questions about Ubuntu vs. Fedora Core on my laptop. I'm
> currently running Ubuntu 10.04 and having some "issues". My laptop is
> an IBM A30p with builtin Prism wireless card. The current version of
> FC may have the same problems. Or, may not be as applicable for
> Laptops... Any way, questions:

Note that it's just "Fedora" since Fedora 7. :) There used to be a
"Fedora Core" maintained by Red Hat folks and a "Fedora Extras"
maintained by community folks, but with F7, they merged and everything
is maintained out in the community side.

> 1. The Prism drivers don't work. The Orinoco drivers do not see
> anything and the hostap drivers, the ones the Prism docs always refer
> you to, hang the system. Would this work under FC? This hasn't worked
> since version 8.10....

I have seen reports of them not working in Fedora as well... I used to
have some Orinoco cards, but I don't know where they are if I still
do. ;(

You could try a Fedora live media and see if they work there?

> 2. Some X apps across an ssh connection causes the system to hang and
> the disk light comes on and stays on... I'll ssh -X to a system and
> run Thunderbird, for example, and after the display comes up, boom,
> dead. Does this work under FC?

It should. Again, trying a live media may be an easy way to tell... no
need to install anything until you know it's working for your case.

kevin