[lug] Atom Based Computers

Aaron Nichols anichols at trumped.org
Mon Jul 12 12:56:45 MDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 3:41 AM, Stephen Queen <svqueen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was considering buying an atom cpu based mini-itx computer for an embedded
> project. Before I spent any money on it though, I wanted to see how
> difficult it is to load Linux on such a computer. I use debian for most of
> my embedded  projects, since it is ported to so many architectures. When I
> looked at the debian releases, I see nothing aimed at an atom. I know that a
> number of popular netbooks use Linux, so Linux does run on an atom. Can you
> just use a release that is for the i386? Has anyone done this and have some
> warnings or caveats to share?

I don't have any warnings. I have run both your standard i386 versions
of Ubuntu & the netbook versions which have some optimizations for the
atom CPU, both work fine with the optimized version yielding a little
better battery life in my case. The CPU's generally, I think, run most
anything an x86 processor will.

Aaron