[lug] Atom Based Computers

Stephen Queen svqueen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 11:17:41 MDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Maxwell Spangler <
maxlists at maxwellspangler.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 05:35 -0600, Stephen Queen wrote:
>
> > So how would I determine which cpu/main board would be most
> > appropriate for my application? More importantly, how would I
> > determine in advance, which cpu resources my application is going to
> > consume or even tax? Off the top of my head, I would think that the
> > main resource my application would need is for I/O on the network. I
> > could be fooling myself though. There is a lot of data coming in small
> > bursts of around 1 to 1.5 Kbytes a second. I tried looking at it with
> > a profiler at one time, but it seemed that the profiler actually used
> > as much resources as my app., so it just muddied the water.
> > _
>
> That's too big a question to ask without knowing more about your
> application.
>
> What can you tell us about it?  What does it do? What is it written in?
> What are its requirements: does it run in 256M of RAM or does it require
> 2G to run, etc?
>
> These factors help guide hardware choices.  A small app written in C
> that runs in 128M of memory, for example, may be able to run
> satisfactorily on an Atom processor with no problems.  A similar app
> that works with a pool of 1G-2G of memory might benefit greatly from a
> cpu with a large amount of L2/L3 cache instead..
>
> My question was general. I will have more than one application in the
future. The question is how does a person go about determining what cpu/main
board is best for their app. Not is this particular cpu appropriate for this
particular app. It is probably to general of a question to ask on a mailing
list, and expect a reasonable answer.

Steve