[lug] Recommendations For Older Hardware?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 20:35:45 MDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Davide Del Vento
<davide.del.vento at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It just feels like a bad time in the Debian release cycle.
>
> It does, and that's why I'm trying sidux (which is basically sid, i.e.
> "debian unstable", with a filter which removes the broken stuff so it
> becomes "stable").
>
> I haven't done much with sidux (yet), but for what I've seen it looks
> very promising (if you don't need GNOME).

Since we're way OT now, I'll through in my OT $.02 as well. I ran
sidux for several years, and I found it to be more stable than most
stable distros. I even ran it (xfce variant) on my Starling netbook
for a while. The only problem with that is that the Starling has a
wireless chip that's not well supported (poor receiver strength) in
mainstream kernels. Carl and company have done wonders with the chip
on Ubuntu. My one gripe with sidux and Debian in general is that they
were extremely slow on the uptake with later KDE versions, and the
version offered on sidux was pretty clutzy.

About 6 months ago I put up PCLinuxOS just to see what they were doing
with KDE and liked it, so I haven't booted to sidux in a while. PCLOS
probably has the largest number of desktop variants of any current
Linux. It's rpm based, but uses apt for updates!!!

--
Collins Richey