[lug] Old copies of Fedora?

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Thu Jul 22 22:37:26 MDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 19:49 -0600, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Davide Del Vento wrote:
> > 1) a release comes out, say Fedora 10
> > - you might install it right away, but I usually have to wait several
> > weeks before finding the time, actually do it, possibly solving open
> > issues, migrating the old data, etc. Replicate that on 5 machines. If
> > I am done in 2 months I consider that really quick, 3 months is a fair
> > case, sometimes I was late and it took 4 or more!

> > 2) the next release comes out, say Fedora 11
>
> It's been years since I noticed a release coming out and had to roll software forward by a large
> leap.  Pick a continuously updated repository (Debian testing/sid, Sidux, etc) and do (small)
> updates every week or two.

Davide and David make excellent points.

I haven't moved to Fedora 13 yet for those many reasons that delay me
personally. I never considered it was eating into my available-support
window because, like Kevin, I just keep upgrading my systems and stay
pretty current.  By the time I switch to Fedora 13, Fedora 11 feels like
old technology to me.  Which makes RHEL/CentOS feel...

As Kevin and DavidW pointed out, Fedora is an edge distribution on
purpose.  Want the coolest most recent KVM virtualization features? The
stuff you'll probably end up paying for and using years from now on
RHEL? It's in Fedora today, it's Free and you can chat directly with the
developers bypassing support/corporate in order to get things done.
This has *always* been my experience with Linux and it's once of the
reasons why I stick with Fedora.  I like that relationship to people
like Alan Cox (past), Richard Jones (present).

If it's still true that Debian distributions offer reliable
major-to-major upgrades, I'm still impressed.  I think this is one of
those things that you don't trust until you've tried it.

I've never trusted such things and always appreciated starting from
point X known to vendor/community and making minor changes to it.  This
way when I say my system is F13 updated to 7/22/2010 people can
understand what I have and help me resolve things.  It's a safe approach
that requires re-installs but I like it.

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux, Unix and Database Administration