[lug] Old copies of Fedora?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Jul 23 03:02:06 MDT 2010

On Jul 22, 2010, at 1:48 PM, Davide Del Vento wrote:

>> "Long term", same definition, but there is no Fedora LTS. Never has been.
>
> I think nobody is complaining about "broken promises" from Fedora. The
> complaints from many people (including myself) is that they had to
> give up a distribution they really liked (namely Fedora), because the
> support window is absolutely too short.

All they need to do is the same thing the Debian did almost 10 years ago... make it a *requirement* of developers that packages MUST upgrade cleanly or warn the user that they cannot be upgraded and that manual intervention is required.

No, not every package DOES this 100%, but it's a RELEASE-CRITICAL BUG if they don't.  Some don't get caught until after release.

There are pre-installation and post-installation scripts built into all of the major package management systems for a reason.  Developers just need motivation to use them to keep breakage from happening during upgrades...

"Must flatten box and reinstall at every release", is crap ... and just like Windows... and we all know it.  No matter what distro or package does it.  Quality desktop software should upgrade itself cleanly, period... as a general rule...

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com

facebook.com/denverpilot