[lug] Old copies of Fedora?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Jul 23 13:40:31 MDT 2010

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:39:41 -0600
Carl Wagner <carl.wagner at verbalworld.com> wrote:

> The impression I got from Davide's message is that the OS install
> wasn't bad, just migrating the data and custom apps could be
> painful.

Sure. I think thats gotten a good deal better in recent years as well,
mostly due to Fedora shipping so much stuff now. It's much less likely
you have some custom app (at least I don't have any).

> Things change, config files change and suddenly you need to
> fix your app as it doesn't work with a new release.
> It looks like he works with some rather large programs -
> climate modeling and such.

Yeah, for those kinds of projects, the ancient but stable would seem to
be better to me. Climate modeling doesn't need the newest KDE does it?

> Or I am projecting, as that is what I am going through with some
> upgrades.

Yeah, everyone has their own cases... ;)

kevin