[lug] Tools to navigate Unix links backwards?

bgiles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Jul 26 09:30:30 MDT 2010

On 07/23/2010 09:36 AM, Vince Dean wrote:
>   I've inherited a system that depends on a complicated directory
> structure with multiple links, both hard and symbolic, to some of the
> files and directories.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned but you can find hard
links with

   find / -type f -links +1 -ls

The -ls gives you the inode.  Sort on that and all hard links are
grouped together.   You definitely want to remember to specify regular
files only - every directory has a link count over 1.  Special files
also commonly have hard links.

Symlinks are trivial to find, of course

   find / -type l

Bear