[lug] Broadband Internet options for rural Boulder County?

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Mon Jul 26 10:09:10 MDT 2010

On 20100726_070245, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:

> About two years I posed this question to the group and am hoping there are
> some new options. I am looking for broadband (i.e., faster than dial-up
> :) about half way between Lafayette and Longmonth in Easter Boulder
> County.
>
> Two years the options were WISPs (Mesa Networks, etc...) and cellular.
> Mesa Networks were the only ones with coverage, yet they came out and

Mesa Networks has been absorbed into a larger company, Skybeam. They have
had some indigestion pains, but they have added hardware. You might get
better results now than 2yrs ago. New company has strong marketing focus
on VOIP. Seems crazy to me. When they are down, how does a customer call
for service? But if it pays their bills and they have the coverage (which
remains to be seen) ... maybe you can do business with them.

I had terrible service from the time of the ownership change until a couple
of months ago when I managed to get them to send a tech out to repoint
the antenna on my roof. Turns out they had switched me to a different
tower which was closer to my house, but in a slightly different direction.

YMMV

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at mesanetworks.net