[lug] Recommendations For Older Hardware?

Garett Michael Shulman shulmang at Colorado.EDU
Wed Aug 4 18:26:07 MDT 2010

Hey, Rob!  I haven't tried in the last year, but previous to that I was never able to get windows XP running very well in VMWare on Linux.  Even with 4GB RAM it chunked something fierce.  I had tried on Gentoo and Debian.  However, I would think that the distro would be less important that the amount of RAM and which window-manager/desktop-environment was used.  Avoiding Gnome & KDE in favor of ratpoison, icewm, etc. may free up some resources.  I would think that Debian derivatives like ubuntu or knoppix, or fedora derivatives such as centos would all run VMWare similarly well.