[lug] xmodmap and the modern world

Chris Riddoch riddochc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 23:03:33 MDT 2010

For years now, I've had some shell functions, named asdf and aoeu, to
switch between qwerty and dvorak+swap-capslock-and-control, that make
use of xmodmap.  While I don't use the keyboard nearly as much as I
used to, I do like this setup.

In a recent upgrade, xmodmap just doesn't behave properly.  My 'scroll
down' and 'end' keys don't work.  This is apparently typical, and
expected.¹

My google-fu is apparently only strong enough to tell me how to change
the keyboard setting to and from dvorak, but not how do so while also
getting the caps lock/control swap happening too, and only by editing
xorg.conf (which I'd prefer not to have to do...)

Asking other people to open a terminal and type what would be 'asdf'
is still easier than asking them to learn dvorak, or to use my funky
accessibility tools.

Help?

¹ http://who-t.blogspot.com/2010/06/keyboard-configuration-its-complicated.html

--