[lug] Android comparisons

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Sat Aug 14 17:58:22 MDT 2010

Hi,

I'm at a point where I really need to upgrade my cell. I really want to be able to write software to run on my own phone. I see two phones that I'm currently interested in, the Motorola X and the Motorola Droid 2. Looks like Droid 2 is a bit smaller than X, and X has a lot going for it. However, X runs Android 2.1, and Droid 2 runs Android 2.2. A while back someone from BLUG had suggested that no matter which phone yoIu get, I want to have one that allows me to download and install software from any site, not just some sort of registered site...since my own computer would be where it gets software written by me. Can anyone tell me about whether the typical X or Droid 2 have hurdles like only working with specific download sites which would interfere with me writing software for my own phone? I'm particularly interested writing special handling for a database of phone numbers, probably modified by GPS location and time of call.

On a related note, I have seen claims that near the end of summer X will have the ability to upgrade to Android 2.2 (from 2.1)...perhaps vaporware, but if it had 2.2 on X I think I'd go for the X (X seems to be the better hardware side). Any opinions on how much 2.1 and 2.2 should change my purchase decision? I don't think I can wait till late fall, but it is rumored that Android 3 will be out then...should be interesting.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net