[lug] Android comparisons

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Sun Aug 15 18:38:27 MDT 2010

You should check out the Android Market.  A lot of what you want may
already be present, or may even be part of the phone itself.

http://www.technipages.com/motorola-droid-send-contact-incoming-call-straight-to-voice-mail.html

I'm sure parts are available, but I wanted to do something much more involved. Part of it is out of need, but a lot of it is just because it'd be fun to learn. From a user perspective, the Motorola X has some very good reviews, which makes me want to use it just as a phone...part of it is because the time you can talk before the battery dies is extraordinary among smart phones. I know some platforms are more open than others for developers, but my "impression" is that the "closed" part on the Motorola X is more about kernel...but how much access to the kernel is needed for this sort of program, which intercepts and does non-standard things with some phone numbers? Does it require modification of a kernel module? If not, then I don't worry...if so, then does a boot loader lock refuse non-standard kernel modules? It's an expensive phone, I might get it anyway, but I certainly don't want to buy it without knowing exactly what I can or cannot do with custom programming on it. I want to have fun! :)

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net