[lug] Android comparisons

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Aug 16 16:45:29 MDT 2010

On 8/16/10 4:09 PM, Davide Del Vento wrote:
>> Choices, choices.  If Apple does a CDMA device, and Verizon chooses to
>> pick it up/deal with them/whatever
>
> After 3 years of living here, I still feel bad when I hear these kind
> of sentences. I know, I've probably ranted about it onlist already,
> but in many other countries (most of the Europe and surely in Italy)
> you can buy any phone you like and it will very likely work with any
> carrier you like. Like when you buy any car, they may suggest one
> brand of gasoline, but it works with any brand (well, there are small
> caveats, such as not putting diesel or rubbing alcohol in it instead
> of gas, but they are reasonable). Too bad that's not the case here in
> the US, and that apparently almost nobody cares and the few ones who
> do care, cannot do anything about it, besides "hoping" like you are
> doing.
>
> Ah, and 90% of the Italian phones do work here in the US with a
> T-mobile SIM card (in fact, the phone I'm using right now was bought
> in Italy, because I couldn't find anything worth buying here - and
> T-mobile is the only carrier deserving my money, since they allow me
> to do that). Good luck with putting an Italian SIM card in your iPhone
> - although you may buy the exact same iPhone in Italy and I'll bet it
> works just fine with any carrier

Ah but you see, this is because in Europe you suffer from a lack of
choice and competition in cell phone transmission standards!

Just think about how much better it would be if you could pick and
choose between GSM and CDMA; 3G, 4G and WiMax!

[/tongue-in-cheek]
--
Zan Lynx
zlynx at acm.org

"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Study Hard.  Be Evil."