[lug] No flash on the Daily Show [SOLVED]

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 11:58:03 MDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just upgraded my wife's and my Kids' computers to Lucid.  Now they
> hate me because thedailyshow.com won't display.  It asks me to install
> flash.  Of course, flash is installed, and it is version 10.1 r53,
> which should suffice, I think.
>
> Both machines are 32 bit, Ubuntu 10.04 systems.
>
> Anyone else have this trouble?  Any solutions?

Found my solution.  In both cases the user had installed flash at some
point, probably by being prompted to do so by firefox.  Meanwhile the
OS had also been upgrading flash, but the user's installation was
taking precedence.  By use of locate and md5sum I was able to find all
the libflashplayer.so files and see that some were not the same as
others.  I removed all the the ones that came from the .deb packages
and, Lo! and behold, it worked.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Michael